List:       kde-usability
Subject:    Simplified windowing mode
From:       Maurizio Colucci <maurizio.colucci () gmail ! com>
Date:       2005-08-06 10:10:02

Hello again,

From Mattias Ettrich http://tinyurl.com/7g2ur:

    Nobody likes to do window management. Wirth was right, although few
    people believed him when he designed Oberon. Users seem to go a long
    way to avoid having to adjust a windows position or size manually. This
    isn't just untrained users, this is everybody.

I agree but, on the other hand, personally I don't like watching the
world from a tiny window either. This makes me feel claustrophobic.
That's why I only use maximized window. Heck, even for file-open
dialogs, the first thing I do is maximize them (and I hate the fact
that gnome dialogs don't have a maximized button).

This is how I use the computer, and how any Windows nonpower user does
(as far as I have seen). This is not surprising since our conscious
attention can only concentrate on one task at a time.

So here's the idea: could we supply KWin with a "simplified mode"
where all the windows are maximized, and you can only see one window
at a time? You switch the active window with the taskbar.

Also, we could introduce a guideline in the HIG that states that KDE
apps and dialogs must be usable in that mode. (cough, GIMP...)

As an added eyecandy, in "simplified mode" the taskbar could switch
its appearance to a tab-bar.

Looking forward to your comments and insults as always ;-)

--
Sincerely,
Maurizio