List:       kde-usability
Subject:    Re: [Fwd: Nine things KDE should learn from Mac OS X]
From:       ra1n <pk20it () yahoo ! it>
Date:       2005-08-06 8:24:35

Leo Savernik ha scritto:
> Am Freitag, 5. August 2005 15:06 schrieb David Laban:
>
>>7. Not entirely sure what he's talking about there, so I must have been
>>living under a rock, but surely the whole point of the common file
>>structure in all linux is that we *don't* get people doing stuff like this
>>and installing apps all over the place
>

> The application bundles is the *best* invention OSX boasts. No installation
> hassles, no remnants after uninstall, no need for package managers to sort
> out the crap in /usr.
>
> mfg
> 	Leo
It's a NeXT invention (but also present in RISCOS too) and it's a great
invention, on linux only ROX (http://rox.sourceforge.net) uses that, and
while  it's not solving most of the linux packaging problems
(dependencies on specified lib versions, API compatibility, etc etc) it
could be a good boost for example for commercial apps, which have a few
dependencies (and sometimes are statically linked) the could be easily
packaged in one bundle instead of three or four different packages for
different systems.
I proposed some time ago to support this, we already have a good example
(ROX) so should be trivial to add support for bundles, or AppDirs like
ROX calls them

Cheers

Luca