List:       kde-usability
Subject:    Re: Searchable menus
From:       ra1n <pk20it () yahoo ! it>
Date:       2005-07-30 19:19:29

julian oliver ha scritto:
> ..on Fri, Jul 29, 2005 at 05:51:16PM +0200, Diego Moya wrote:
>
>>On 29/07/05, Maurizio Colucci <maurizio.colucci@gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>>>Here's the idea: why not create a search feature that works in all
>>>menus, system-wide? For what I understand, this only means modifying
>>>KMenuBar so that it shows a search box, and the menu items are
>>>narrowed accordingly: the non-matching items are hidden or just greyed
>>>out. All programs would automatically inherit this feature. Seems nice
>>>to me.
>>

>>Wow, a CLI inside your GUI! That's revolutionary! ;-)
>

> funny you should say that -it is for many.
> every time i've shown Konsole to new KDE users there are always those
> that from there on, habitually start applications in the term. ask them
> and they'll say it's faster.
Because it's faster, when you know the name of the application....
personally I make an heavy use of the Alt+F2 (Run Command) dialog
because it's faster than moving the mouse to the menu, search the
correct group and browse for the app, the downside is that you need to
know the name of the app, but for example gnome dialog has automatic
autocomplection, both dialogs have a nice history, so it isn't that hard

Cheers

Luca