List:       kde-usability
Subject:    Re: Enhancement: disable reason
From:       Michael Olbrich <michael-olbrich () web ! de>
Date:       2005-07-06 13:14:24

On Wed, Jul 06, 2005 at 09:35:01AM -0300, Gustavo Sverzut Barbieri wrote:
> On Wednesday 06 July 2005 06:43, Michael Olbrich wrote:
> > I agree that the problem "user doesn't know why a widget is disabled"
> > exists. However, I'm not sure if what you are proposing is the solution.
> >
> > In most cases the layout of the dialog should provide enough
> > information. e.g. Indented under or behind the activating checkbox etc.
> > I don't think that for the very few cases where aditional infomation is
> > necessary would check for a tooltip. Remember, there is no such
> > information for most disabled widgets.
> >
> > Imho we need some allways visible representation to show that there is
> > more.
>
> Some widgets are impossible to do this, like menu items. Open a complex
> software (kwrite, OOo) and you'll see this problem.

What do you mean by "impossible"? The original idea was a patch against
Qt, right? I was thinking about drawing a questionmark or something
above the disabled widget. What's impossible about that?
It draws the users attention and _then_ we can provide the information
on mouse over and/or click.

michael