List:       kde-usability
Subject:    Re: Enhancement: disable reason
From:       Michael Olbrich <michael-olbrich () web ! de>
Date:       2005-07-06 9:43:08

Hi,

On Tue, Jul 05, 2005 at 12:02:46PM -0300, Gustavo Sverzut Barbieri wrote:
> I've made a patch to help enhance usability: now you can state why you
> disabled some widget.

I agree that the problem "user doesn't know why a widget is disabled"
exists. However, I'm not sure if what you are proposing is the solution.

In most cases the layout of the dialog should provide enough
information. e.g. Indented under or behind the activating checkbox etc.
I don't think that for the very few cases where aditional infomation is
necessary would check for a tooltip. Remember, there is no such
information for most disabled widgets.

Imho we need some allways visible representation to show that there is
more.

michael