List:       kde-usability
Subject:    Re: Enhancement: disable reason
From:       Gustavo Sverzut Barbieri <gustavo () gsbarbieri ! sytes ! net>
Date:       2005-07-05 22:49:52

On Tuesday 05 July 2005 19:22, Tim Hutt wrote:
> On Tuesday 05 July 2005 18:36, Gustavo Sverzut Barbieri wrote:
> > On Tuesday 05 July 2005 14:31, Gustavo Sverzut Barbieri wrote:
> > > PS: Now I'm working on the same for QAction, these will enable menu and
> > > toolbar items to have the same functionality :-)
> >
> > Also, do you think that the disable reason should go in WhatsThis too?
>
> I do.
>
> I also think it is a great idea. Was thinking about it recently. Would
> really help with the log off dialog (I think currently unavailable buttons
> are completely removed rather than disabled which is stupid).

Ok.

But always or just when a previous WhatsThis was present?
ATM toolTip and statusTip both return the reason even if there wasn't anything
before.

I need help with text, that sentence is too long.

And last but not least, I need more feedback on the the API name issue, should
it stay disableReason() or should it change to enableHint()? The former name
is more explicative (API-wise), but GUI would benefit most from a
constructive comment. However "enableHint" is not that descriptive, seems
that it would enable something, but I'm not native english speaker and I'm
sometimes confused by short sentences... so I would go with it if I found a
better name.
   Another problem I see with constructive hints is that they often are large
and will screw the statusTip, which is too restricted.

Again in the limits of statusTip, it doesn't support rich text, there is any
Qt function to wipe out rich text from some string? Otherwise it will cause
trouble for developers that use some reason with rich text formating.

--
Gustavo Sverzut Barbieri