List:       kde-usability
Subject:    Re: RFC: Restricting mouse in popup menus
From:       Manuel Amador <rudd-o () amautacorp ! com>
Date:       2005-06-22 4:06:16

El mar, 17-05-2005 a las 21:59 +0200, Diego Moya (a.k.a. TuringTest)
escribió:
> On 17/05/05, Lubos Lunak <l.lunak@suse.cz> wrote:

> In general, restricting the movement of the mouse to a section of the
> screen is a bad idea, because it forbids the user to change her mind
> an beginning a different task. In particular, it would make impossible
> to cancel the menu without making a selection.

No.  He could ram the pointer up, and click (thus closing the menu).  He
could also use the ESC key.

> Changing the cursor image or hiding it while the quasimode is active
> would solve this problem by clearly changing the perception of the
> user on what's happening.

I'm actually in favor of this idea.  Too many times I have missed menus
because I clicked outside of them.  This can also improve navigability
of large menus such as the file manager quickbrowser menu.