List:       kde-usability
Subject:    Re: On Systray (Again!) and session management
From:       ra1n <pk20it () yahoo ! it>
Date:       2005-06-08 23:01:19

Aaron J. Seigo ha scritto:
> On Wednesday 08 June 2005 12:59, Diego Moya (a.k.a. TuringTest) wrote:
>
>>I ask the following not to pester but just to start a
>>thinking-out-of-the-box session:
>>
>>Is there really a need for separate taskbar and systray? To a user not
>>knowing the inner workings of the KDE environment: what's the
>>difference between them, other than the size of the minimized
>>application button?
>

> the fact that one refers to windows and the other one doesn't.
>
> the problem is that we, primarily power users and programmers, have gotten
> ourselves confused that the systray has something to do with windows. it
> doesn't. forget that concept. clear it from your mind.
Well but if clicking on the systray icon hides the main window it has
something to do with windows

> it is supposed to be a place for notification, for alternate interaction with
> a "service" (e.g. IM)
OK then why the systray icon is needed when the main window is in the
taskbar?
You are right the systray behaviour is somewhat confusing, because it
deals with the main window hiding/showing it and with the application
itself, showing notifications or to issue a command (example change
track in kscd) from this point of view kde it's an hybrid between
Windows, for the taskbar, and the assumption that window=application,
and MacOS, where you don't have a taskbar, but a menubar+window list and
where window!=application (sytray apps)
So kde lies between both worlds, in some apps when you close the window
you close the application, in other ( kopete, juk, kscd,kmix) when you
click on the close button, you close only the window, the application
still runs in the systray (well for some apps, like messenger, or google
desktop search this is true even in windows)
Systray is abused right, my proposal (and as you said not it's not only
me) "patches" that flaw, giving a way to deal with this hybrid approach.
Ok here is 01:00 am so goodnight to everybody :-D

Luca