List:       kde-usability
Subject:    "UNIfication"
From:       David Laban <alsuren () gmail ! com>
Date:       2005-05-28 0:58:36

I had a long email planned but after some thought, I realised that it boiled
down to this (at 2:00 am):

If I wanted to change the position of "configure" etc. so it fitted in with
the Gnome standards, could I do it without a re-compile?

Basically, I would like to propose a system for generating menus and button
layouts for yes/no/cancel in which all the work is done by a different
process (similar to how Kparts works, but for menus). This way, we make it
easier for programmers to follow interface guidelines because their program
basically says "create a yes/no/cancel button array" and then when the other
process returns the answer, your program does the appropriate thing. This
also means that if there are KDE and Gnome users on the same PC, the Gnome
user could use a different interface program, which puts the
"settings/configure" under "tools/options". This way, you can have all your
programs (GTK and Qt) following the KDE and Gnome HIGs and you don't need to
recompile every time you want to change DEs

The title of UNIfication was a take on "UNIX" because UNIX has lots of
programs which you can pipe into and out of. The idea is that *everything* to
do with creating a frontend could be piped out into a different program,
leaving the user's processes to do less and less. The situation described is
comparable to the choice between piping through grep or less in order to get
an output. Each program takes the same input but each displays a different
output