List:       kde-usability
Subject:    Re: scroll wheel in the kicker clock
From:       "Aaron J. Seigo" <aseigo () kde ! org>
Date:       2005-05-26 15:33:46

[Attachment #2 (multipart/signed)]

On Thursday 26 May 2005 05:56, Caoilte O'Connor wrote:
> but I wasn't able to get any developer to see that sometimes
> a cool looking feature is inappropriate from a user
> interface perspective.

*sigh*

> Although the ability to change the timezone of the clock
> with the scroll wheel might seem "cool" if you are an
> extreme power user it is very confusing to a casual or new
> user.

it has nothing to do with coolness, it has to do with expected features.
perhaps a useful request would be to ship the clock with not timezones other
than the default enabled, and that may well make sense. but if the timezones
are there, it makes all the sense in the world to have it scrollable with the
mouse wheel like everything else is on the desktop.

> It is my understanding of UI design that major configuration
> options should never be exposed in the primary interface

this isn't a major configuration option. the point of the multiple timezones
in the clock is to make it possible to see multiple timezones using the same
clock.

interestingly, many people requested this feature. now we have two people who
request it removed.

--
Aaron J. Seigo