List:       kde-usability
Subject:    Re: Proposal: Removal of Ctrl-C shortcut
From:       "Diego Moya \(a.k.a. TuringTest\)" <turingt () gmail ! com>
Date:       2005-05-23 20:48:53

On 23/05/05, Leo Savernik <l.savernik@aon.at> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> today I've hit Ctrl-C (Copy to clipboard) by accident again, and this
> time it was once too many. I hereby propose to remove this shortcut by
> default.
>
> Rationale:
> Ctrl-C is very easily pressed by accident, when one intends to press
> Ctrl-V (Paste clipboard content), or perhaps Ctrl-X. With many applications
> there is no safety dialog at all, overwriting the existing clipboard content
> immediately. IMHO this is a glaring usability issue, leading to much
> frustration, if you e.g. overwrite clipboard content with important data in
> it.

The solution to this isn't crippling the interface. The solution is to
NOT DESTROY the information hold in the clipboard, but saving it to
somewhere else so that it can be easily recovered. I think Klipper
does exactly that.  Maybe there should be added an accelerator key to
access previous clipboard entries, if it doesn't exist now.