List:       kde-usability
Subject:    Re: Proposal: Removal of Ctrl-C shortcut
From:       David Goodenough <david.goodenough () btconnect ! com>
Date:       2005-05-23 19:39:59

On Monday 23 May 2005 20:02, Leo Savernik wrote:
> Hi,
>
> today I've hit Ctrl-C (Copy to clipboard) by accident again, and this
> time it was once too many. I hereby propose to remove this shortcut by
> default.
>
> Rationale:
> Ctrl-C is very easily pressed by accident, when one intends to press
> Ctrl-V (Paste clipboard content), or perhaps Ctrl-X. With many applications
> there is no safety dialog at all, overwriting the existing clipboard
> content immediately. IMHO this is a glaring usability issue, leading to
> much frustration, if you e.g. overwrite clipboard content with important
> data in it.

> SCNR ;-)
>
> mfg
> 	Leo

When IBM were defining CUA (Common User Access) which was a component
of the Systems Application Architecture (SAA) they did not use Ctrl-C, Ctrl-V
etc, they used Ctrl-Ins, Shift-Ins and Shift-Del.  CUA is the origin for all
today's window layout standards and sort to bring together all the different
ways of doing the same thing that each application provided.  Both Motif and
Windows used to cite the CUA reference as their style guide.

It was Microsoft who changed to Ctrl-V and Ctrl-C etc as I recall, although I
never quite worked out why.  Many applications and system still use both
although they generally only show the Microsoft way.

Insert and Delete are frequently next to each other, which does slightly
defeat the object of not choosing C and V.  Interestingly there was another
option to Cut, Copy and Paste, there was Create, which created a new
object of the same class as the object being copied, but invoked what
was effectively the new method for that object which would typically
put up a dialog to request data for the new object.  Such objects were
of source not just text, but any visible object on the desktop.

In the CUA reference manual SC34-4290-00 I can not find any rational
for the choice of keys.  I will look around and see if I can see one.

David