Thanks for your response. > > Currently the interface is identical to the "global" one. The only thing, > > which makes it KPDF's help, is that its manual is selected: The side bar > > is expanded to reveal KPDF's top level entry (not more!) and its title > > page is displayed in the content area. > > It's identical because it's the same application. It's no different than > opening konqueror from the panel with no url, or doing it by clicking a > link. One way you get it empty, the other way it's started with something > already open. [snip] > It's not a per application help system - we don't have such a thing :) Acknowledged :) The point I was trying to make was that it looks a lot more like the library of Alexandria than help on KPDF. Of course, if it isn't meant to look like a per application help system, then there is nothing wrong with this. > Completely removing the ability to go from "just this doc" to "all of the > help" was considered and dismissed, for various reasons (I forget > specifically, but have written down around here on another computer - I'll > dig those notes out for you.) I am very interested to know those reasons. It appears that help on only one application would be a lot easier to navigate and understand, given the context from which the user opened the help system in the first place. >> Most of text that is visible at start-up is the GNU FDL header. >> I am not sure if we are legally bound to have the license at the very top. >> Maybe the purpose is to make the open nature of KDE clear to the user. I >> can only guess here unfortunatelly. > > suggestion: > >  Use a smaller font for the FDL or encourage the user to participate in > > the development of KDE in a more casual way. > How good are you at XSLT? Not very good. But if you feel this is something a computer science student with little experience developing software could do, I'd be eager to try my best at it. > I have been attempting to fix this (it's a bug) for ~7 months, and > coincidentally had a bit of a breakthrough just this afternoon. > There are legal constraints on where the notice may be however > (and it's already in a smaller font than the rest of the text) (if you > really care I'll explain the specific problem, but this one at least can be > marked down as a bug in the (very slow) process of being fixed.) > Ironically my breakthrough resulted in the TOC for the doc going AWOL, and What is the bug? > > 4) The manual's front-page features another table of contents > > suggestion: > > Use the sidebar for this. > > The problem there is if you type help:/kpdf in konqueror (or follow such a > link from another document), there is then no table of contents at all, and > navigating the document would be more difficult. I didn't know this was possible. I can understand that given this scenario the solution has to be rather more difficult. One idea I had was to generate another document holding the TOC and either embed it in the rest of manual at runtime or display it in something akin to a frame. Of course, I am not the developer around here, you are. > There is also a quite > substantial design document in the sources, with a whole lot of things you > covered here and more, and most of it is coming to similar conclusions. I couldn't find this document. Where is it? Thanks again, - Markus _______________________________________________ kde-usability mailing list kde-usability@kde.org https://mail.kde.org/mailman/listinfo/kde-usability