List:       kde-usability
Subject:    Re: 3.4 and kmail
From:       Harijs Buss <hbush () apollo ! lv>
Date:       2005-04-21 7:56:00

On Thursday, 21. April 2005 06:26, Anne-Marie Mahfouf rakstija:

> anyway, i do hope kmail usability will be discussed and the .kde folder
> structure will be explained both to users and developers.

At least, any changes in such sensitive things as "where your mail is now
suddenly hidden" should be explained in big letters in first lines of version
change statement. Maybe also when KMail is started first time in new version.
It's not a pleasure to find that suddenly all your simlinks to mail directory
are wrong because /Mail is surprisingly now /.Mail in Mandrake, or to
understand that you just deleted all your mail archive for last 8 years
because now it sits where it never has been before.

Most users nowadays DO NOT read developer lists.  That said, they do not
deserve to be treated like "inferior life forms" in phrases like "you should
have read it, it's somewhere in the manual".

Wherever you (KDE developers) decide to relocate (again!) my Mail directory,
please keep it there for at least nearest 5 years.  Make changes if it is
absolutely necessary (which in most cases probably isn't so) but THEN, DON'T
TOUCH IT anymore for long enough time.

Harry