List:       kde-usability
Subject:    navigating windows (formerly Re: why dialogs are not windows)
From:       David Laban <alsuren () gmail ! com>
Date:       2005-04-07 15:51:58

On Thursday 07 April 2005 14:45,Thomas Zander  wrote:
> > While I think of it, I think it would be nice if ctrl-tab worked in the
> > same way as alt-tab by going to the next *most recently active* desktop
> > rather than just the next desktop

> Ewh; please don't!
> I would personally really really like the 'most recent' action be removed
> from alt-tab as well.  Give me headaces when working with more then 2
> windows since I actually have to interpret the data I see on screen (not to
> mention that I have to name my konsoles!)

Whether the order of alt-tab/ctrl-tab should be dependant on history is a
matter of personal preference(and could possibly be an option in control
centre) but do we both agree that the two functions should have similar
behaviour in how they determine the order of things?

If you want to get to a numbered desktop, you can always use ctrl+F1-6 etc.
like the alt+F1-6 thing used in the text consoles. This requires less thought
than the current ctrl-tab behaviour anyway because you don't have to be aware
which desktop you're on. This is why I think the current ctrl-tab behaviour
is redundant and should be changed to be more like the alt-tab behaviour.
(try it and see what you think)

> > (an alt-tab-like popup thingie would be
> > nice too, listing the windows on each desktop before you make the
> > switch.)
> Thats already present in a more up-to-date version.
I was thinking with truncated title bars or something for if you have multiple
instances of kopete or konsole etc. open on different desktops. I expect if I
gave my desktops sensible names then that would help too :P