List:       kde-usability
Subject:    Re: Usability study of KPrinter
From:       Kurt Pfeifle <k1pfeifle () gmx ! net>
Date:       2005-04-05 16:08:17

> Well, if KDE is installed on each machine then installation shouldn't
> be a problem. As for only working with the local machine, I don't see
> that as a problem

You may not know some of the network setups and IT environments out
there in the real world.

Home users are pretty well served by KDEPrints PDF Printer, though.

> as the special printers are fairly personal in their
> use to a user.

Sometimes true, sometimes not.

Consider this: One print server runing Linux/CUPS/Samba. Provides
printing to a very large heterogenous environment of very many
workstations. (Think university, or research institute, or some
enterprises/government office/whatever).

Here KDE's PDF Printer is of no use at all.

Centralized CUPS-driven PDF printers are in considerable demand.
They are cheaper than an Adobe Distiller Server, and nearly as
good. They work for Windows, Linux, Mac OS X, Solaris Clients and
what-have-you....

> How many people would want (or administrators would want to physically
> set up centrally) a shared PDF printer that would output a PDF to a
> user's own directory?

I can assure you, there are quite some of them.

> And 'Mail PDF File'? I find KDE's special
> printers very useful in  that regard.

I find this too....   ;-)

> 'Send to fax' is something you
> may might want to have configured
> centrally though.

Same arguments apply here. Sometimes yes, sometimes no. Depends on the
exact requirements and environment.

Cheers,
Kurt