List:       kde-usability
Subject:    Re: Show/Hide vs Checkbox
From:       Tim Hutt <tdh29 () cam ! ac ! uk>
Date:       2005-04-01 20:20:38

> On Thu, 31 Mar 2005 00:45:47 +0100, Segedunum <segedunum@actuaria.co.uk>
wrote:
> > On Wed, 30 Mar 2005 23:53:03, Thomas Zander wrote:
> > > I suggest you take an application you are very familiar with and
> > > switch it to (for example) japanese so you can't read what it says;
> > > then test the above statements.
> >
> > I always thought the notion that humans pay much, much more attention to
> > symbols and pictures than they do to text (especially in their own
language )
> > was an extremely well known fact ;).
>
> Well; we were talking about 1 word changing state verses 1 checkbox
> changing state

Well put. I'm merely saying that:

a) It is easier to find the menu item for the tag editor if the first word you
have to find is "Tag" rather than "Show" or "Hide".
b) It is easier to see the difference between checked and unchecked than
"Show" and "Hide" at a glance.

Although I do see that lack of icons might be annoying. And there should be an
empty checkbox for when they aren't checked rather than a blank space.

> where the original poster claimed that people either
> select items on position or on whole word 'outline'.
> I, and Aaron have pointed out that a) more current research shows
> otherwise

Links?

> b) 1 word changing does not disrupt the image

Maybe at the end. But I think it definitely does at the beginning of the
label.

> c) just the position is useless; you need the words.

Well I think you need both. Like you said navigation would be harder in
Japanese. But it would be also harder if the menu items changed position
randomly. And Japanese is an extreme example. It's quite easy for me to
navigate a known program in French or German where the words are similar, and
you have some idea of what they should read.

> The c) part is where you came in; this pointer excludes the images part.
> Your point is interresting, though.  We can't have an icon as well as
> a checkbox in a menu, its an or/or proposition.  Your point that icons
> are more easilly remembered is true, naturally and for this to work we
> have to have text, not checkboxes defining state.

What about a check box on the right hand side of the menu? I'm sure I've seen
a GUI like that somewhere.

Anyway, when is this new HCI document coming? Is there a draft anywhere?

-Tim H