List:       kde-usability
Subject:    Re: Usability study of KPrinter
From:       "Aaron J. Seigo" <aseigo () kde ! org>
Date:       2005-03-31 15:37:44

[Attachment #2 (multipart/signed)]

On Monday 28 March 2005 03:00, GĂ©rard Delafond wrote:
> If people don't disagreee, i'll fill a wish on bugs.kde.org.

the Print dialog certainly could be done much better. as could the Print
Manager application's interface.

however, simply listing what sucks and then posting that to bugs.kde.org isn't
the most useful thing we can do.

what is MORE useful than spending 15 minutes listing all the warts is spending
the many hours necessary to come up with BETTER interfaces. for instance, you
note that the settings should have better groupings so as to avoid the
plethora of seemingly random places one can access settings from. i agree.
however, what is a solution? why is it the current way?

let's be realistic here and realize that a bug report will be read by the
developer(s) who originally created the interface that has issues. they need
input. if they didn't, the interface would be perfect already.

moreover, unless we put some effort into things here, then
kde-usability@kde.org comes off as a bunch of do-nothing whiners to the
developers. and fair enough. it's easy to point and say "that should be
better", but the real work is coming up with something that is better.

so if you want kprinter to rock, put some time and effort into coming up with
interface solutions that can be directly implemented. text descriptions,
screenshots, mockups, user testing .... none of these things require coding
experience, just usability knowledge and effort.

and honestly, if we don't have usability knowledge and effort, we don't belong
on this list.

does all of that makes sense?

--
Aaron J. Seigo