List:       kde-usability
Subject:    Re: Show/Hide vs Checkbox
From:       Segedunum <segedunum () actuaria ! co ! uk>
Date:       2005-03-30 22:46:26

[Attachment #2 (multipart/signed)]

On Wed, 30 Mar 2005 01:18:49, Tim Hutt wrote:
> Just a quick note to say that using menu items that change from (for
> example) 'Show Offline Users' to 'Hide Offline Users' is a poor design.

Poof. Minefield alert! You have to be a bit careful with this, and there's no
easy answer.

> Bad examples of this are: Kopete->Settings->First 5 options And:
> Juk->View->First 3 options.

As others have pointed out, this is down to whether you want to show state or
an action. I personally don't have anything against checkboxes in menus as it
can be a valuable indication that something has been selected. It's a
question of what is what.

In JuK's case the menu entries make sense because they are describing actions
e.g. Hide Search Bar. If you wanted to use that with a checkbox then you
would have 'Search Bar' by itself and a checkbox. The disadvantage of this is
that you are not describing what is going to happen, or what it does i.e.
showing the search bar is an action. The disadvantage of the doing, verb menu
approach is that you are changing the text (not always a good idea) and a
user can click on it and can possibly have no visual feedback whatsoever that
anything has changed other than the changed menu text. People actually learn
text for menu entries. If they look at it and the icon, menu entry and text
look the same apart from one word then they'll think it's the same.

If you're changing the state of the application (or inferring an action), and
that change will have no immediate visual feedback for the user then use
check boxes - if they make sense. If you're performing an action on
something, like the application itself, and that action will have immediate
user feedback (e.g. search bar disappears) then use the verb option. That's
why check boxes make sense for actions in dialogues. However, with menu
entries (most of the time) visual feedback is nearly always the case so the
verb option is preferred. If you're changing state or performing an action
that doesn't have any immediate feedback then it is generally put in a
configuration dialogue somewhere or it's a toggle button on the toolbar.

Wordwrap is a checkbox option in KMail on the Options menu, with sometimes no
visual feedback that it is on (text might not be currently wrappable). This
makes sense there, but should it be in a configuration dialogue? Possibly, as
it should be configured on by default and configured along with the number of
characters. However, you may want to simply override it for one particular
e-mail ;). A lot of checkboxes in KMail also use 3D icons rather than
checkboxes, which is even more confusing. I'm not picking on KMail per se,
but it's just what I'm using at the moment.

Oh, and another thing. The checkbox in KDE with Plastik (might be different
for different themes though) is a cross and not a check. This is bad as a
cross can sometimes be inferred that something is wrong. Doesn't feel
natural.

I find all this fascinating to be honest, as there's no easy answer. If Apple
are taking the action route, what do their UI guidelines say?

Cheers,

David