List:       kde-usability
Subject:    Re: Show/Hide vs Checkbox
From:       seele () obso1337 ! org
Date:       2005-03-30 18:23:46

> Children learning to read read each letter. They go 'D... o... g....
> dog!'
> Whereas you and I just look at it, and some part of our brain tells us it
> says dog without having to read each letter. The effect is even more
> obvious
> for longer words.

[off topic] pattern recognition.  we read by recognizing the shapes and
patterns of words and phrases.  there was a study done not too long ago
that showed people could still read words which were misspelled without
much performance loss as long as the first and last (first few and last
few for longer words) letters were correct.. [/off topic]

> Document modified.  [Save changes to current document] [Discard the
> changes
> you have made] [Return to editor]
>
> vs
>
> Document modified. Save changes?   [Save/Yes] [Discard/No] [Cancel]

I think what we need to determin is if Show/Hide is a state or an action.
(I think the state/action debate was in the thread in a previous email..)

If show/hide is an action, it would make sense to do it the way it is,
allow the user to click on _Show_ and toggle the label to _Hide_.

If show/hide is a state, a checkbox would be better suited.

Personally, Im not sure what show/hide really is.  Any argument could be
for action or state. Has there explicitly been a show/hide debate before?