List:       kde-usability
Subject:    Re: KMail/Kontact keyboard navigation
From:       ra1n <pk20it () yahoo ! it>
Date:       2005-03-30 14:45:53

Zácek Krystof wrote:
> The number of reactions to the keyboard navigation in KMail clearly proves that \
> something is wrong there. The stubborn position of its developers reminds me too \
> much me of GNOME architects explainig their users that they should like what they \
> do not like.
> C'mon, the solution is so simple:
> make the keys confirugable (Up, Down, Home, End, Enter) and make the default \
> behaviour consistent with other mailers and KDE itself. Advanced users will not \
> have to worry about their beloved right-left keys - they will be able to configure \
> them.
> Howgh!
>
> PS: Don't tell me that I am just criticising instead of contributing. THIS is my \
> contribution.
And this is mine, have you guys ever used thunderbird? it adopt a very
simple solution, selectable area:
if you click on the message list with up/down buttons you move between
message, and with left/right between threads (expanding and collapsing
them too) when you click on the message text area you scroll the message
with up/down buttons, adding an highlighting to border of the selected
area (like a text area in plastik) to make the user aware of which area
is selected and you can easily use the same keys for two different jobs,
at this point you could also add another keychain (like Ctrl+left/right
or Ctrl+up/down...you get the point..) to move between message when you
have focus on message text area.
Just my 2˘

Cheers

Luca