List:       kde-usability
Subject:    Re: E-Mail Scrolling in KMail/Kontact
From:       Leo Savernik <l.savernik () aon ! at>
Date:       2005-03-23 17:14:07

[Attachment #2 (multipart/signed)]

Am Mittwoch, 23. März 2005 16:54 schrieb Sébastien Laoût:
> Le mer 23/03/2005 à 16:38, Leo Savernik a écrit :
> > > Up/Down when the listbox (mails list) is focused... move selected
> > > item(mail) up/down, as usuably.
> >
> > Move mails with up/down?! This will inflate bko by an order of
> > magnitudes.
>
> I've baddly said it.
> It move the *selection*, and not the selected mail.

Ok, makes sense now.

> It *change the focused item to the one on top or bottom*, in fact
>
> > Simple for the newbie. Hellishly inefficient for the professional user
> > (read: a user who receives more than 10 mails a day).
>
> Yes, that's the problem.
> It seems we can't reach both targets at the same time.
> If we modify for a simple newbie behaviour, pro users would suffer of
> it, and the inverse is true too.

Let's sum it up. Given a corporate environment, where inexperienced user N has
little exposition to mailing (10 mails/day), and experienced user P with
heavy exposition (250 mails/day). Both earn ¤25/hour.

The vendor of the email client suddenly decides to make the action of reading
a single email for all instances of N at about 2 seconds faster. As a
side-effect, reading a single email becomes 1 second slower for each instance
of P.

Now let's do the math:
N saves 20 seconds a day, makes a net saving of 25/60/3 = ¤0,138
P loses 250 seconds a day, makes a net loss of 25/60/60*250 = ¤1,7361

Calculated over the business year P loses 52*7*1,7361 = ¤631,94 worth of
productivity, whereas N merely gains 52*7*0,138 = ¤50,55

This means, the company will only then gain a profit from the change if there
are at least [631,94/50,55] = [12,5] = 13 Ns for each P.

That's the way the CFO will understand it.
Additionally, given the increase in computer literate staff to be expected in
the future, the N to P ratio is anticipated to become lower, not higher.

(*All numbers and calculations without any warranty!*)

mfg
	Leo