List:       kde-usability
Subject:    Re: E-Mail Scrolling in KMail/Kontact
From:       Datschge <datschge () gmx ! de>
Date:       2005-03-23 16:20:34

On Wednesday 23 March 2005 12:54, Sébastien Laoût wrote:
> I've baddly said it.
> It move the *selection*, and not the selected mail.
> It *change the focused item to the one on top or bottom*, in fact

Are you talking about the focus? That's what Tab should be used for, if at
all. But all these alternate proposal so far are far worse than the current
behavior since the current behavior is quite easy to detect and learn which
is not the case with any of the proposed "improvements".

Traditionally KDE applications avoided issues with focus completely. KMail is
the long standing corner case, and to avoid the focus mess other non-KDE apps
have the focusless navigation was introduced. This is innovation, and
abandoning this for something worse just because people keep saying adapting
to familiarity would be better usability is hilarious and sad. If we want to
improve usability in KDE which need to pursue consistency within KDE.
Consistency with familiarity of non-KDE apps is out of our reach and would
only create an incredibly inconsistent mess, so that can only be optional if
at all.

The only valid concern I read in this thread is that the folder and mail lists
visually receive the focus while KMail doesn't have a concept of focus to
begin with. This should be fixed by never showing the focus rectangle in
those two lists.

Cheers