List:       kde-usability
Subject:    Re: Taskbar RMB popup layout
From:       Lubos Lunak <l.lunak () suse ! cz>
Date:       2005-03-10 15:04:34

On Wednesday 09 of March 2005 18:40, Aaron J. Seigo wrote:
> On Wednesday 09 March 2005 09:48, Lubos Lunak wrote:
> >  And going halfway and doing in the beta phase or not is another
> > question.
>
> the changes in rev 1.15 you mean? yes, those might have been better done
> either earlier or later. it's moot at this point, however.

 Yes, those changes. And it's not that moot. KDE3.4.x is now going to have a
popup very different from both older versions and KWin's popup.

> >  Alternative. But it's not the same. If you move the Advanced submenu
> > below Shade, it will be no longer quickly accessible using Alt+F3.
>
> hrm.. advanced is the most used item?

 For me, yes, and probably for many other people. Most of the entries in the
top level actually don't make much sense for the average user.

> >  First of all, the user can simply do KDEWM=openbox or whatever, and the
> > popups no longer match.
>
> yes, we can only optimize for the defaults.
>
> > And even with KWin there are some entries which
> > Kicker can't easily implement.
>
> of course. so we get it as close as possible within the bounds of reason.

 Ok. So how about reasons:
- I lost several Konqueror and Konsole windows within the last few weeks.
- Since the 'To current' entry doesn't make in Alt+F3, how about moving it in
the taskbar popup to somewhere where I don't have to do so complicated
aiming?
- Or, maybe even better: Since the current branch layout fails badly at both
aims, how about making it either just like in 3.3.x or just like (*cough*)
KWin's?

--
Lubos Lunak
KDE developer