List:       kde-usability
Subject:    Re: Kig dialog needs your help!
From:       dirk.schoenberger () sz-online ! de
Date:       2005-03-10 11:04:42

> The problem you're experiencing is due to not properly validating the
> information that the users enters in the "SVG file" field. To help
> them to avoid problems, you should use heuristics for error prevention
> -  a careful design which prevents a problem from occurring in the
> first place.

> For example, you could provide a default path. If the user only enters
> a filename, the file is saved to that path.

> You could even make a suggestion for the filename, so that entering
> any info into this field would be optional - the user may be satisfied
> with the default value and only click "OK" (but, the label should be
> "Save" instead).

I think this depends on your workflow and the frequency of the actions to
execute.
If I want to use the export function say a 100 times, where 100 times I
want to choose different path names, but only 3 times I want to change the
options (like, say, swithc between show and hide grid), I would be rather
pissed if I were forced to a two step process just to save a simple SVG
file.

> And if the current content of the "SVG file" field is not a valid
> filename, disable the "Save" button. This way, the regular "save
> dialog" will not apear on an error, because errors are totally
> avoided.

I think such a functionality is already in the save as dialog, so the
check is actually doubled.

Regards
Dirk