List:       kde-usability
Subject:    Re: Application specific shortcut keys ????
From:       James Richard Tyrer <tyrerj () acm ! org>
Date:       2005-03-10 4:55:56

Aaron J. Seigo wrote:
> On Tuesday 08 March 2005 01:03, James Richard Tyrer wrote:
>
>>Then there are the questions of the choice of strings (some of which I
>>have changed already), the menu order and menubar categories.
>

> actions used by multiple applications should end up either in KStdActions and
> uistandards.rc or the equivalent in an appropriate library. KHotNewStuff
> provides a couple of "standard" actions, for instance.

I have already considered that and rejected it because it isn't going to
address the issue.  We already have applications with the same menu
items and they are not in KStdActions.

Global shortcuts are supposed to be either <Ctrl>+<letter> or special keys.

There simply are not enough keys to assign a global short cut for every
one that is shared by multiple application.  Some dissimilar application
are probably going to have the same short cuts for different actions.

Also some applications can use some keys that other applications can
not.  You can use unmodified letters and <Shift> letters in an image
viewer but that wouldn't work in a text editor.

However, it is still a good idea for the short cuts for the same menu
item in same type/similar applications to be the same which is the issue
that I was addressing.

--
JRT