List:       kde-usability
Subject:    Icon emblems
From:       Sébastien_Laoût <slaout () linux62 ! org>
Date:       2005-03-08 23:01:08

Hello,

We see more and more personalized icons in the filesystem icons group.
We can have folder_image, folder_html, folder_download, folder_sound...

That's very great because we can arrange our home folder with some
folders ("Images", "Sounds", "Downloads"...) and folders are very
quickly recognizable (quicker than reading texts).

But there will never be enough icons.
What about if we want folder_mail, for example (to assign to ~/evolution
or ~/Mails folder: we don't want it to look like an incoming mail box),
or folder_tmp, or folder_my_project...

And what happens when switching icon themes?
Some icons suddently don't show anymore and are replaced with an "empty
file" icon.
I sometimes switch from/to CrystalSVG and Nuvola and need to use only
the common icons.

That's where "icon emblems" save life.
Yes, it's from GNOME, but it's a good idea IMHO:
- Folders always look like folders
- If I change icon them, icons are changed and EXISTS
  (no empty icon instead of a folder and no need to start The GIMP
   to add a pseudo-emblem to a folder and save it in the icon theme
   folder...)

And it could not be restricted to folders: files can use emblems as
labels or tags like "finished", "draft", "work", "urgent", "favorite".

It could even be a start for the "search desktop" (yes, it's not only
search, as I've read): emblem can be a searchable/filterable meta-data.

Why not introduce this feature in KDE 4?
Is this make sense usability wise (I think so)?
Or would it add another layer of "cluttered interface"?

Of course, emblems will change with icon theme.
For example, I apply the icon "Image" to a folder, then when switching
to eg. Nuvola, it's the Nuvola "Image" icon that will be used a an
emblem (contrary to GNOME, that have Fixed emblems, stored in an home
sub-foldern as I understand it).

Best regards,

Sébastien Laoût.