List:       kde-usability
Subject:    Re: KDE improvement suggestions
From:       "Aaron J. Seigo" <aseigo () kde ! org>
Date:       2005-02-25 17:28:47

[Attachment #2 (multipart/signed)]

On Friday 25 February 2005 01:36, Maurizio Colucci wrote:
> > 	how often do users end up outside of their person data directories in
> > konq?
>
> Very often.

hourly? daily? weekly? monthly?

i'd be surprised if it was more than weekly and wouldn't be surprised if it
was monthly. this is actually a useful study to do: where do people travel in
konqi. it would be relatively easy to set up a little test harness that would
collect all file:/ URLs accessed and create a summary of how often each
unique path was visited; then it would be a matter of finding people willing
to be guinee pigged and have the results of a month or two of usage sent to
someone for anonymization and collation into a uniform data set for analysis.

i don't think we should hide the filesystem entirely. i think that's generally
pretty bogus and puts way too much emphasis on the local filesystem being
important anyways. but i am thinking about what our default file management
view should look like. it should be optimized for the most common usage, the
usage that 95% of our users perform 95% of the time. of course it can't get
in the way of the other 5%s either, but that doesn't prevent us from
optimizing effectively.

--
Aaron J. Seigo