List:       kde-usability
Subject:    Re: spotting usability issues @ work?
From:       Liam Smit <smitty () absamail ! co ! za>
Date:       2005-02-24 22:17:19

<snip>

> (a) provide tooltips. this could be easily done. however, since "my"
> users don't read anything on screen (except their own mails or maybe
> funstuff), they probably won't notice it. but it's a start.

<g>

<snip>

> (d) provide a "first time" - window. the first time, the user
> accidently clicks on a column, a window could pop up, informing the
> user, what he/she changed and how it can be undone. this window would
> provide a "don't show this again" - checkbox. would work - but maybe
> this is too "much" for such a small feature?

Could be see below. Maybe make (e) configurable i.e.it can be turned
off, if they can figure out how to turn it off they should be
comfortable by that time with just a small triangle to indicate the
active column.

> (e) make stronger visual clues than now (the small triangle is just
> too subtle), maybe through some kind of highlighting or by using the
> status bar. this could introduce other problems usability-wise (e.g.
> usage of colours can be another usability-issue as we all have seen on
> the list).

Change the background colour of the column by which emails are currently
being sorted and the small triangle should probably be in a colour such
as blue instead of standard black.

Of course this is pretty much on a per application basis...

cheers
Liam