List:       kde-usability
Subject:    Re: Default icon set
From:       Uno Engborg <uno () webworks ! se>
Date:       2005-02-24 20:55:12

Maurizio Colucci wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I'd like to suggest to change the default icon set from crystal to
> nuvola 1.0. The advantages would be:

I agree, the current iconset is not very good. As you say it is too
shiny, but whats worse is that it is graphically
indistinct. Just look at the up arrow and compare to  the little house
used on the konqueror toolbar, and who knows that the semitransparant
peice of pipe on the desktop is a trashcan. Sometimes it is misleading
Look at the TT used for fonts, that easily could lead the user to
believe that only truetype fonts could be used.

So, changeing the default icon set is indeed very much needed.

But what is even more needed is good guidline on how to create graphics
for KDE. Guidlines that includes usability aspects of the graphics. In
my oppinion we need some kind of  guidlines for what graphical forms to
use for different things. E.g. in the old Mac OS runnable things had
should have a rombic appearance, documents should have dog ears in their
upper right corner etc. There should be standards on where to write
document type texts etc.

All this is probably best discussed on the kde-artists list.

Regards
Uno Engborg