List:       kde-usability
Subject:    Re: Showed LiveCD with 3.4 beta
From:       "Aaron J. Seigo" <aseigo () kde ! org>
Date:       2005-02-23 18:52:09

[Attachment #2 (multipart/signed)]

On Wednesday 23 February 2005 08:07, Uno Engborg wrote:
> I showed the KDE 3.4 Live CD to some friends the other day. In their
> oppinion (and now mine) the text that accompaines the icons in the
> navigational panel should fall down below the icon when it is clicked.
> Not above it as it is now.

you mean the sidebar as seen in konqueror or the universal sidebar in kicker,
right? i had to read the entire email and scratch my head for a while before
i got what you talking about. esp since it was in the "Hide Menubar" thread
=)

> The icon is much more graphicaly heavy than the text, this means that
> when you click one of
> the icons you move your eye downward past the emerging text to the icon
> before you start reading.

agreed

> I also asked my friends what they thaught the icons ment, just by

some background info to provide additional context here would be great:

what is the computing history/competency of these subjects? they used the term
"home directory" rather than "folder", so i'm assuming they are Linux/UNIX
users. is that correct? do they use KDE? have they ever used KDE? what do
they currently use? what do the generally use computers for?

> Not that encurrageing. Thank god there is tooltips.

yes. one of the inherent problems with icons is that they must be learned.
they are symbols after all.

> Comments anyone?

the sidebar is messed up. =)

it's fairly well known. it also needs a rewrite from a code perspective IMO.
hopefully we'll see that hapen during kde4, at which point we can introduce
some usability work to it, including some of the things you found here.

--
Aaron J. Seigo