List:       kde-usability
Subject:    Re: The new KFileDialog
From:       Maurizio Colucci <seguso.forever () tin ! it>
Date:       2005-02-23 11:48:13

Thomas Zander wrote:
> On Wed, 23 Feb 2005 11:38:58 +0100, Maurizio Colucci
> <seguso.forever@tin.it> wrote:
>
>>Thomas Zander wrote:
>>

>>>a) the sidebar is not distinctive from the rest of the dialog anymore.
>>> This is bad since it controls navigation completely outside of all
>>>the other widgets.
>>
>>?? This seems to me the opposite of the truth.  The sidebar has exactly the
>>same behavior as (some of) the other widgets: change the current location.
>

> All the other widgets effect each other; the 'up' moves up from the
> current dir, the directory-icon moves into that directory etc. Only
> the sidebar icons are a) globally defined and b) ignore the current
> context and simply set it to a new value regardless of current
> context.

And why exactly is this distinction important? It is very common for toolbar
buttons to be "globally defined" and to "ignore the current context".
For example, in konqueror the home button is a toolbar button. Where exactly
do you see a problem?

To me, your reasoning proves another thing: since the distinction is
_extremely_ uninteresting, useless, and confusing, I would _merge_  toolbar
and sidebar.

> This is what I mean that these controls are in a different scope of
> control, I never said that they do something different.

Sorry for misunderstanding you. (poor wording, however).

Maurizio