List:       kde-usability
Subject:    Re: The new KFileDialog
From:       Aaron Seigo <aseigo () kde ! org>
Date:       2005-02-22 19:52:07

[Attachment #2 (multipart/signed)]

On February 22, 2005 11:49, Andras Mantia wrote:
>  I'm a little late with this, as I only updated my kdelibs today, but
> I'm very sad to see that the KFileDialog is not so nice as before. I
> don't have a problem with using the blue shading instead of the sinked
> bevel, but I have with the color of the quick-folder (or how it is
> called) area. With the standard colors it is the same gray (or for my
> eyes the same) as the dialog frame (Window Background color). But it
> isn't the Window Background color itself, and I couldn't figure out
> which color it is.

yes, it is the window background color.

>  Previously it was a darker gray, and it stood out nicely.

that's sort of the issue. it stood out rather glaringly. it's not necessary to
hit people over the head with sledgehammers, in fact doing so makes our gui's
appear heavy, busy and "bloated". i hate those terms probably as much as you
do because we both know it's "just aesthetics", but it's how people perceive
things.

people have moaned about the colours used in the sidebar since it went into
CVS. a lot of people like the new look, and i've received numerous
compliments on it via email and irc.

if we want to actually make this about usability rather than esthetics, we
need to ask where the eye should be drawn in an interface. with the dark
colour the speedbar was one of the most dominant aspects of the dialog, but
the center of attention should be the file listing not the speedbar.

this is double true for kontact and it's sidebar.

i tried using a white background so it would look like the other editable
widgets, but that actually made the situation worse.

let's see what happens when the RC1 is released. will people have a hard time
finding the speedbar? will they not know what it is?

> Sorry Aaron, but I think this was not a good change.

no apologies needed for your opinion. =)

--
Aaron J. Seigo
Society is Geometric