List:       kde-usability
Subject:    Re: "Hide Menubar" proposal
From:       Uno Engborg <uno () webworks ! se>
Date:       2005-02-21 22:49:35

[Attachment #2 (multipart/alternative)]

Esben Mose Hansen wrote:

>On Monday 2005-02-21 19:25, Aaron J. Seigo wrote:
>

>>On Monday 21 February 2005 07:57, Esben Mose Hansen wrote:
>>

>>>Or is this discussion about making this the default behavior?
>>>

>>yes.
>>

>Well, I won't complain, I use it ever seen I discovered it. But some
>introduction should perhaps mention this to windows users? They might get a
>tiny bit confused :)

Not to mention how surprised they get when they find out that some non
kde-applications will behave differently.

Done right, this is something that would increase usability in a pure
KDE context. The problem is that other applications written in other
toolkits are quite common, and that would create inconsistent looking
desktops.  If it wasn't for that I would turn on this right away.

This is something that need to be taken at freedesktop.org and really
have the blessing of
developers of other toolkits before this is made the default and it
should  not be about
having menus on top of the screen like on the mac but rather on to
create some kind of
menu manager that could handle menus outside of the application windows,
just like we
have window managers to handle window positioning and such.

The KDE version of such menu manager would of course give the maclike
behavior. Perhaps it could be implemented as a kicker applet, that way
it would be easy to combine it with  the K-menu. Potentially such a menu
manager standard could also be usful for accessability purposes.

Regards
Uno Engborg