List:       kde-usability
Subject:    Re: "Hide Menubar" proposal
From:       Thomas Zander <zander32 () gmail ! com>
Date:       2005-02-20 10:43:10

On Sun, 20 Feb 2005 12:11:10 +0100, Maurizio Colucci
<seguso.forever@tin.it> wrote:
> 3. Menus provde a STATIC arrangement of functionality, and I was hoping
>     people would move completely away from them. I created OneFinger to show
>     that menus are an obsolete concept:
>
>     (a) they don't scale well as you add items.
But they provide a good total repository with standard locations for
people to remember.

>     (b) they are not searchable; you cannot narrow them by typing a keyword;
They don't make a different interface to the actionslist impossible.
You can have both.

>     (c) they cannot be sorted dynamically according to your needs;
Same as last point; sorting based on need also has not been done in
any useful manner with other actions-repositories either, btw.  Users
may think about a certain action without coming up with the term the
developer choose.  Menus (and just about all action repositories) are
recognition based.  Searching/sorting etc  don't honor that fact.
I doubt you can overcome that limitation; but if you can, please show
us the results!

>     (d) any *dynamic* changes within them are not immediately apparent
Mac, for that reason, has in their styleguide that changes are not
possible, only en/disabling. Switching from kmail to a kmail-email
window does not change the amount of menu entries at all.  This
approach warrants investigation.

I fail to see how different usability approaches should cut each other
off;  please go ahead and create a really nice way to navigate an
application and show its better then menu's.  Do some good usability
research and all that.  You know how it works.
--
Thomas Zander