List:       kde-usability
Subject:    Re: "Hide Menubar" proposal
From:       "Aaron J. Seigo" <aseigo () kde ! org>
Date:       2005-02-20 2:03:31

[Attachment #2 (multipart/signed)]

On Saturday 19 February 2005 06:10, ra1n wrote:
> while interesting, this thing raises a little problem....non KDE apps
> are unaffected by this change, using only 1 non kde app (like the actual
> Openoffice, or mozilla family for example) makes an inconsistent user
> interface.

which is why we'd take it to FD.o to make it a standard. yes, some legacy apps
would certainly not follow this, but with KDE versions of OOo and Firefox
available it's not such a huge issue.

> Florian's idea is good, but it's not so intuitive (I've stared at the
> demo a lot before I understood how to make the menubar reappear :-P)

agreed. it also defeats the common purpose for hiding the menubar.

> probably the best option is having a better organized toolbar where the
> restore menubar button could appear when you hide the menubar by some mean.

well, one usually hides the menubar to get maximal window size, meaning the
toolbar being there isn't likely, either.

--
Aaron J. Seigo