List:       kde-usability
Subject:    Re: How to prevent KDE submenus with a single item from collapsing?
From:       Mark Hellman <markhellman () techie ! com>
Date:       2005-02-18 11:18:01

Thomas Zander wrote:

> You should probably be more clear about what you are trying to do, and
> I suggest you ask on the kde-user lists first, as this seems to me a
> user-question (but I don't quite understand it, so I could be wrong).

This is simultaneously a user and a usability question. On KDE 3.3, when a
submenu on the KDE menu has only one item, the submenu is transformed into
a single item and the name of the menu item is changed. For instance, I
have the submenu:
        (KDE Menu) -> Multimedia -> CD/DVD Burning
with only one item inside: K3b
Instead of the submenu and its single item being shown, the "CD/DVD Burning"
submenu is transformed into a link to K3b.

This is awkward. It prevents the user from knowing the name of the program
he is choosing. Instead, he only sees a generic name.
How can I change this behavior?

Mark