List:       kde-usability
Subject:    Re: Search dialog vs. search bar
From:       Sébastien_Laoût <slaout () linux62 ! org>
Date:       2005-02-16 15:15:25

Le mer 16/02/2005 à 15:57, Jason Keirstead a écrit :
> On Wednesday 16 February 2005 10:01 am, Sébastien Laoût wrote:
> > Is it a problem?
> > Why the search should be modal?
> > You're trying to search a thing, you start to type some characters, the
>
> This is why... if I start typing, meanwhile a modal dialog pops up, then I hit
> "Enter" to perform my search, I have just dismissed the modal dialog without
> even getting a chance to see what it said!

Oh...
OK.
But there is no need for Enter.

Ah. Perhapse when hitting Ctrl+F it give the focus to the search box and
Enter allow you to turn back the focus to the browser.
I don't have a version of Firefox anymore on hand.
So I can't test.

In fact I directly type search text in the browser page, without
pressing Ctrl+F before.
By this way, there is less problem.

But it's two different usages: one with a feedback (the blinking cursor
in the search box) and another more powerful (typing text by having
focus to the page) but less obvious.