List:       kde-usability
Subject:    Re: System Preferences
From:       Jason Keirstead <jason () keirstead ! org>
Date:       2005-02-04 3:30:16

On February 3, 2005 11:01 pm, Benjamin Meyer wrote:
> looking at them again... nope they all seem very konqurish to me.  Plugins
> looks like netscape/mozille plugins...

What do you mean? It doesn't matter what it "looks like"... plugins is
deiniftly used by  many KDE apps. Have you ever had the libflashplayer.so
plugin installed and clicked on an SWF document in KMail? The ability to
launch that comes from the fact that the netscape plugin part is available
KDE-wide.

> Ok, how about something *really* simply.  You want to change the time
> format. Rather then 12 hour days you want 24.  If you go to System/Date &
> Time you don't find it there and so you search for time which shows
> internationalization.

I don't know, if I wanted to change the format of displaying time, the first
place I would look is under personal. Why would I look under System to change
a personal preference? But maybe that's just me.

> Kinda like in OS-X's spotlight. :)  It has a dropdown along with the
> highlighting and from the dropdown you can select something.

Is the dropdown just of more keywords? Not sure I understand.

> > I know the API does not provide this right now, but if we are looking
> > toward the future, this is really what is required.
>
> Flesh out a few ideas, I agree the keyword system is a little lacking.

Ok - how about this idea. The shaing stays as is. But, if there is a search
filter in place, then, when you mouse over an un-shaded icon, it uses a fancy
animated tooltip ( the one aseigo wrote - the one that currenly shows up when
you mouse over the KMenu ), to show you what you can do inside that KCM.

The advantage here is that these tooltips are not delayed, so you'd get
instant feedback.

Then again, it still doesn't help you *while* you search. I am trying to come
up with a way to give you that feedback without being too jerky on the
screen.

--
Jason Keirstead
http://www.keirstead.org