List:       kde-usability
Subject:    Re: tabbed everything
From:       Maurizio Colucci <seguso.forever () tin ! it>
Date:       2005-01-31 22:15:24

Esben Mose Hansen wrote:
> On Monday 31 January 2005 11:44, Maurizio Colucci wrote:
>

>>Tabs are a good system, but require you to manually manage the open
>>documents, i.e. decide whether you are going to need a document again.
>

> No more so than the 1 window per document, surely?

Of course not. I was not comparing tabs with the 1-window paradigm at
all. I was just pointing out a problem of tabs.

>>Don't underestimate this fact. It has drawbacks:
>>
>>1. it requires discipline and foresight (in fact, newbies don't get and
>>don't use tabbed browsing)
>

> Not really. Many people I observe use the algorithm: Open everything new in
> new tabs until the number of tabs are unmanageable. Then use the "close all
> tabs but this" to bring it under control again.

This contradicts my experience. I suspect those people are either not
newbies, or newbies that were explained how to use tabbed browsing. Or
you know very different people than me.

>>2. you don't always know whether you are going to need a page again.
>

> This is actually point 1 again, isn't it? :-P

Not at all. Point 1 states that tabs require foresight. Point 2 states
that, even with foresight, sometimes you have problems.

>>So, IMO,  tabbed browsing is good for web browsing, because accessing
>>web pages is slow, so the effort to decide whether you will need the
>

> Accessing web pages is not significantly slower for me than accessing files,
> depending on size and connectivity.

Then it might be interesting to create a web browser which exploits the
the "recent locations sidebar" approach instead of tabs.

>>current document again is worth. But for browsing files, it is much
>>better to have a list of recent folders. This is like tabs, but you
>

> Not at all like tabs. That list will contain mis-clicks, mistakes and all sort
> of irrelevant document.

Irrelevant documents which quickly go to the bottom of the list, ceasing
to annoy the user.

> Sure, recent document, is nice, but no replacement
> for tabs. Recent document is nice when you forget what you called that new
> document you were working on yesterday, but not nice when rapidly and
> repeatedly switching between several documents.

I don't agree. I respectfully suggest you to try nonspatial nautilus
with the history sidebar.

> I hate nautilis :) And judging from the gnome mailing lists, slashdot and
> other places, I am not alone.

Would you care to explain us why? Are you by any chance referring to
*spatial* nautilus, which is another cattle of fish?

cheers,

Maurizio