List:       kde-usability
Subject:    Re: The new tooltips
From:       Jason Keirstead <jason () keirstead ! org>
Date:       2005-01-17 12:36:56

On Saturday 15 January 2005 7:13 pm, Aaron J. Seigo wrote:
> btw, you may note some cool uses of the mouse overs in CVS right now that
> show that "once you know what the button is you don't need the mouse overs"
> is not true. in particular, i'm thinking of the mouse over of the new trash
> can button  which shows how many items are in your trash right now. that's
> something that changes, and so even if you know it's the trash button the
> mouse over is useful.

None of this applies to the KMenu example.

Regardless.. there are lots of other tooltips in KDE that provide just as much
extended information as these ones in the kicker, and none of those are
"instant" tooltips, hence, they don't get in your way when you are trying to
do something. So, why is the kicker so special?  Or are we going to remove
the delay for all tooltips now? I can imagine how pleasent that will be when
using Konqueror...

> if you already know what the button does, you'll already know what the
> mouseover is and you can ignore that too =)

It is very hard to ignore animations that appear spontaneously almost directly
under your mouse. This is why standard tooltips have a delay, so you don't
stop to look at them unless you are not actively moving the mouse, and thus
it is not interfering with your work.

> if you feel it slows users down and is therefore a bad default, collect
> data on this and we can examine the results.

I just don't understand why there is no delay. All other tooltips have a
delay, why should the kicker be no different?

--
If you wait by the river long enough, eventually
you will see the bodies of all your enemies float by.