List:       kde-usability
Subject:    Re: The new tooltips
From:       Alan Prescott <ajp () fudokai ! org ! uk>
Date:       2005-01-15 8:13:12

On Friday 14 Jan 2005 19:11, Jason Keirstead wrote:
<snip>
> But I still think it is misguided. I mean, it is nowhere near the same
> function. The icon zooming was simple eye candy. These tooltips take up
> very large amounts of space, and are distracting to the task you are trying
> to perform.
</snip>

I don't believe icon zooming is/was not just simple eye candy.

In my case I have a child panel on the left of the screen set to icon size
small holding a set of less heavily used but common apps such as the
calculator, kate, gimp etc. that I want close at hand.

I use a small icon size on the child panel so as not to lose too much screen
but not all icons are that distinctive and I find the icon zooming useful 1)
to distinguish between the icons more easily and 2) to make it obvious that
one _is_ selected before clicking.

If the icon zooming is being dropped has anyone talked to the people in
kde-accessability - I would have thought this was a feature highly useful for
the visually impaired.

- Alan

--
Alan Prescott