List:       kde-usability
Subject:    Re: The new tooltips
From:       ra1n <pk20it () yahoo ! it>
Date:       2005-01-14 19:51:11

Jason Keirstead wrote:
> On Friday 14 January 2005 3:35 pm, Aaron J. Seigo wrote:
>
>>they don't take up any space that is actually being used when they appear.
>>it's not like they obscure a widget or button you need to get to.
>

> But it is incredibly distracting.
>
> Imagine if this occurred everywhere in the UI - that all tooltips appeared
> instantly without any delay. Imagine how distracting that would be. That is
> what it is like now when you are trying to use the K-Menu. Every time I go to
> click on it I see this weird grey thing zoom in partially on the side of the
> screen.
>
> The icon zooming never went very far outside the kicker bounds, and also, it
> was just enlarging something you were already looking at - it was not
> introducing new widgets onto the screen. Thus, it was vastly less
> distracting.
[cut]
I don't agree with you, simple because this thing has a little delay (I
agree with on how distracting would be a instant tooltip) and, more
important, it won't interfere with your task, if you are clicking on
kmenu, you could simplay wait for the tip to appear or press the button
without problem, the first time or two it would be distracting, because
people will wait to read inside.
Then....it could be turned off ;-)
My proposal was to use the same layout for system tips, and make them
become part of everyday work flow (especially, but this is imho, in
konqueror)

Cheers

Luca