List:       kde-usability
Subject:    Re: The new tooltips
From:       Jason Keirstead <jason () keirstead ! org>
Date:       2005-01-14 19:33:36

On Friday 14 January 2005 3:35 pm, Aaron J. Seigo wrote:
> they don't take up any space that is actually being used when they appear.
> it's not like they obscure a widget or button you need to get to.

But it is incredibly distracting.

Imagine if this occurred everywhere in the UI - that all tooltips appeared
instantly without any delay. Imagine how distracting that would be. That is
what it is like now when you are trying to use the K-Menu. Every time I go to
click on it I see this weird grey thing zoom in partially on the side of the
screen.

The icon zooming never went very far outside the kicker bounds, and also, it
was just enlarging something you were already looking at - it was not
introducing new widgets onto the screen. Thus, it was vastly less
distracting.

> the task you are trying to perform is find
<snip>

... no! No find. You are only trying to find the right button once, maybe
twice if you forget, the entire lifetime of using that application. Once you
know that this button == that application, the tooltip is no longer anywhere
near as useful. That is why I proposed only having these things activate
instantly *until* the initial activation of the item. After that, have the
standard tooltip delay and possibly turn them into normal, small tooltips.

> consistency. and the reasons i stated in my previous email.

There is no need for consistency between the KMenu and the launch icons,
because the KMenu is not a launch icon. There is no giant tooltip bubble for
the taskbar or the system tray or other items on the kicker, so it is already
inconsistent from the "it is in the kicker" perspective, and that is all
these two widgets really have in common.

> and yet that's not it's entire purpose.

if it's purpose is not to tell what the KMenu is, then what is it's purpose?
That is the only text on the tooltip, so I don't see what other purpose it
could be serving.

--
If you wait by the river long enough, eventually
you will see the bodies of all your enemies float by.