List:       kde-usability
Subject:    Re: The new tooltips
From:       chris () deadhand ! com
Date:       2005-01-14 19:31:53

> > Oversimplification. During the learning phase, there is a time when you
> > want to quickly see all tooltips one by one. In that phase, you don't
> > tolerate to have to wait *any* delay before each tooltip.
>
> What about having no delay the first time, 1/5 of the current delay the
> second time, 2/5 of the current delay the 3rd time... and the current
> delay from the 6th time.

Maybe a bit earlier than the sixth time, but overall I think the idea is
great.
This way new users get the tooltips / icon-zooming-like feature Aaron wants
them to have and get a "feel" for the system and annoyed advanced users -
which every 'newbie' will probably be after some time can remove the constant
clutter on their screen withouth heading for a specific (currently not
properly named) option in kcontrol.

I read that basically this is the replacement for icon-zooming, yet i think
unlike icon-zooming (I'm not fan of that either, but it has a purpose) these
'tooltips' actually distract from the icon itself.
From what I read the purpose beneath providng further information á la "what's
this?" (very good at first but unnecessary after two or three times) is to
give the user feedback on which icon the mouse currently is (just like
icon-zooming) but as I've said this effect actually distracts from the
icon/mouse-cursor itself and thus slows the user-experience down by
distracting the user from their task instead of helping him in what he's
currently doing.

Kind Regards,
Chris