List:       kde-usability
Subject:    Re: The new tooltips
From:       "Aaron J. Seigo" <aseigo () kde ! org>
Date:       2005-01-14 19:35:45

[Attachment #2 (multipart/signed)]

On Friday 14 January 2005 12:11, Jason Keirstead wrote:
> function. The icon zooming was simple eye candy.

"simple" eye candy is better than useful eye candy?

> These tooltips take up very large amounts of space,

they don't take up any space that is actually being used when they appear.
it's not like they obscure a widget or button you need to get to.

> and are distracting to the task you are trying to perform.

the task you are trying to perform is find and click on the right button. they
help with that task. if you find them distracting, turn them off, but they
are actually quite targetted at the task one is trying to perform.

> But really - the only one that bothers me a lot is the K menu one. The
> others at least have somewhat of a continuing purpose, since icons can be
> added to the launcher by installing applications. But the KMenu doesn't
> change, so why the constant tooltip?

consistency. and the reasons i stated in my previous email.

> It takes up a vast amount of space (380 px by 100 px ) and is essentially
> useless from the first 2 minutes of using KDE onwards.. Does anyone need to
> be told, every single time they go to click on it, what the K menu is? I
> think not.

and yet that's not it's entire purpose.

> I suspect we are going to get some negative feedback on this one.

we already have, from you and one or two others. we get negative feedback on
just about everything. the question is how much negative feedback in
proportion to positive feedback?

--
Aaron J. Seigo