List:       kde-usability
Subject:    Re: [RFC] new kfind UI
From:       Sébastien_Laoût <slaout () linux62 ! org>
Date:       2005-01-13 13:45:20

Le jeu 13/01/2005 à 08:50, Maurizio Colucci a écrit :
> There is a pressing need for a new search tool. However, in your mockup, it
> seems to me a dialog for adding a new option is not needed. Look at
> gnome-search-tool. That is perfect. You add a new line with the add buttons,
> and then modify the new line in-place, directly inside the main dialog. Do
> you know gnome-search-tool? It might be worth installing.

Wao, that's a cool tool!

I just took some seconds to figure out that I have to press "Add" to
have the option added/configurable (with a lineedit).

It was not so obvious.
Perhapse put an Add button that popup a menu (like the Help button of
KSnapshot) and when we click an item in that menu it will automatically
add the option.

Like that:
Name contains: [            |v]      [   Remove   ]
Contains text: [              ]      [   Remove   ]
Search in:     [              ][...] [   Remove   ]
                                     [Add Option v]
                                     [   Search   ]
 -- Results --------------------------------------
 |                                               |
 |                                               |

It then remove the not so useful "Show more options" checkbox (because
it is a sort of mode, bad in usability))

The [Add Option v] dropdown button is similar to what KMail provides,
but do not show any other dialog: use choose an option in the menu and
then a line with the option is added.

I think this is more ovious (don't lead to the confusion I quickly
experienced, the confusion could be longer for less experienced users).

This also make "name contains" and "search in" options similar to others
(not "advanced" added options) because theire is no reason to treat them
separatly: user can search a text in a file but not the filename.
Perhapse the "search in" could be a spacial one (at top or bottom of
options, unremovable field) because we need to search somewhere.

This merge help to minimize "abstractions" (that's not exactly the
therm...) => simplier.

In any case, the GNOME Search Tool is a good start.

--
Séb.