List:       kde-usability
Subject:    Re: [Fwd: [kde] quick question about desktop text]
From:       Sébastien_Laoût <slaout () linux62 ! org>
Date:       2005-01-12 16:42:58

Le mar 11/01/2005 à 18:18, Matt Rogers a écrit :
> IMHO, this "we need to eliminate the 'Magic Button'" talk is nonsense. Rather,
> we should probably debate about whether or not the default of shadowed icon
> text on the desktop is useful. IMHO, changing the shadowed icon text feature
> is an advanced option so i think it's in the right place.

Why?
Users like to personalize their computer simply by changing desktop
background.
And they put everything possible as a background.
Even backgrounds that make the icons text very hard to read.

So, putting Icon Shadow to 'on' by default is a good thing: it ensure
the icon texts will allways be readable, whatever the background is and
WITHOUT user have to change any option to tweak the icons and make them
clear to read.

Perhapse KDE implementation of text shadow is not the more beatiful one,
but it's usable.

If putting it to 'off' by default, I don't agree it's an "advanced
feature" because user will have to activate it to have a decend display
(and even more difficult, they have to know it exists and where to find
it).

Contrary to that, if it is put to 'on' by default, YES, in this case
it's an advanced option, since there is no real need to disable it!!

Then, features are hard to sort as advanced or not...
It's also why all those Magic Button and Advanced Option are not so
good.

But, by the way, I don't see THAT button so hard to find: the dialog is
quite clear and the button is obvious for me.

Ho... But what about splitting it to two dialogs, and have two buttons
instead of the current "Advanced Options..." (then, buttons will have
MEANING, instead of a generic "Advanced") like this:

[Background Program...]
[Icon Texts...]

Is Cache Use really useful?
Desktop need to "Just Work", AFAIK this setting isn't used at all
(perhapse it can be dropped to KConfigEditor if few users really need
it).

A small problem I encountered is that if I choose to use a program to
render desktop I need to select "No Image" in the desktop dialog.
That's bad to have a feature depends/need two dialogs to activate it.
By the way it doesn't work either for me...

And since "Run Program in Background" is exclusive with "show image",
"no image"... why isn't it a simple radio button with the others?
It would solve the magic button a little.

--
Séb.