List:       kde-usability
Subject:    Re: Kicker Work - Wow!
From:       James Richard Tyrer <tyrerj () acm ! org>
Date:       2005-01-05 7:16:04

Segedunum wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I've just compiled a version of HEAD after a few weeks of my KDE desktop being
> out of action. All I can say is that the new kicker work is absolutely
> awesome, the new-style tooltips work far better and look cooler than that
> 'icon zooming' ever did,

On my build, this is a change in Icon Zooming. This is nice.  Perhaps it
doesn't need to be quite as large with a: "Small" Panel.

I noticed that it disables the ToolTips so this should be indicated in
the KCM.

> and it actually gives you something descriptive to
> boot! The animation is also wonderful.

I don't like the animation.  There needs to be an option to turn it off
like other animations have.  It may be way cool, but it slows the user
down so it is not a usability improvement.

There is currently a X priority issue with this replacement for Icon
Zooming with intersecting autohide Panels at a corner.  If you use the
second Panel that unhides and the first that unhides is still selected,
the little window is behind the first Panel that unhid.  This issue
needs to be addressed.  Clearly this stuff is being assigned X display
priorities; it would be nicer if they were assigned the correct ones.
It is a simple state machine problem -- well there is going to have to
be a semaphore for each corner so it might not be that simple.

--
JRT