List:       kde-usability
Subject:    Re: KMail - my old pain
From:       ra1n <pk20it () yahoo ! it>
Date:       2005-01-04 14:09:35

Zácek Krystof wrote:
> I love KDE. Therefore, it hurts me that KMail is still not usable to me despite its progress. I think I \
> do not require too much:
> 1) Pressing up/down arrow in the message list should display previous/next message in the list by \
> default. This is what EVERYBODY would expect. I know this one can be configured - but it should be \
> default.
> 2) Many users do not like the message preview pane. It can luckily be hidden in KMail. But then again \
> the up/down arrows remain useless and oddly I have to scroll through messages only by left-right \
> arrows!
> 3) Pressing ENTER should open selected message. Hell! It does not and cannot even be configured to do \
> so!
> 4) When viewing opened message, pressing ESCAPE should close it.
>
> 5) Unread messages should be in BOLD font or at least configurable to be bold, italic or whatever.
>
> I do not mention other things, just those visible to normal users, which cannot and will not configure \
> anything.
> It is a pity that such should stupid details do spoil the user experience regardless to what elaborate \
> features are behind KMail-Kontact. Why Outlook Express, mozilla-thunderbird or Evolution do behave \
> similarly and Kmail does not?
IMHO there is another great problem, accounts configuration, people
should be able to add an account simply, without having to create an
identity, add a transport, add a pop3(or whatever) server in another
tab, and then add to the identity a different transport if this is not
the same as default.
It isn't better to have ONE account entry in the config dialog (or
better in a separate dialog) where you could create/manage every account
detail (name, smtp, pop3 and their options) in one single place?

Cheers,
Luca